Aberdeen Square was renamed James Connolly Square in 1920.
Barry’s Field (Two references to Barry’s Field): one was a field below Sunnybank belonging to Lord Meath with a tenant named William Barry, now St Patrick’s Square. The other was a field along Adelaide Road used by Barry’s Amusements, it was once known as the Belgian Field, it was later Fáilte Games Park and is now the site of Bray Bowling Club and Fáilte Park housing.
Barry’s Lane was a narrow thoroughfare leading from Bray Main Street to Florence Road, the buildings at numbers 13 & 14 Main Street and cottages behind were demolished in 1903 and Florence Road was opened up on the Main Street. The date 1903 can still be seen on plaque on the corner of Florence Road/Main Street.
Cross on Bray Head is a 30 foot high concrete cross, it was erected in 1950 to mark Holy Year. Over 5000 people attended the blessing ceremony which was carried out by Rev Canon Moriarty P.P. The cross was constructed by Messrs C Dodd and Sons contractors, Bray.
Civil War (Bray) click here to read more
Cliff Walk Gate Lodge was constructed along the Bray/Greystones Cliff Walk around 1861. The railway had recently come to Bray and lots of new hotels were under construction near the seafront. The Earl of Meath (Lord Meath) had the gate lodge built to regulate access for the large number of walkers and tourists that were expected to cross into his land along the cliff walk. James Loughlin and his family lived in the Gate Lodge Cottage for all the years it was inhabited.
Critchley’s Lane is a lane off the upper East side of Bray Main Street down from the Mermaid Theatre. The lane’s name is associated with the family of William Critchley, one of his daughters was a nurse in the service of Queen Victoria (further information available from the Society).
Harbour at Bray click here to read more
Infant School Lane
Parnell (Bray Parnell Monument) click here to read more
Pound Lane was an lane on the north side of Bray Main Street opposite the Town Hall, Kilmantain Park was built on the site of Pound lane.
Purcell’s Field was a large field behind a section of the west side of Bray Main Street; it is now the location of St Kevin’s Square and James Connolly Square (formerly Purcell’s Terrace and Aberdeen Square). The field was named after its owner Thomas Purcell, a well established town Butcher and Bray Town Commissioner.
Quinsboro Terrace was a row of five large Terrace houses beside Bray’s old courthouse, these buildings were heavily modified over the years and numbers 1,2,3,4,5 are now part of the Royal Hotel.